Monday 23 June 2014

Broccoli Pasta Sauce

This doesnt sound tasty - don't knock it until you try it! Its a great way to get lots of greens into one meal and garlic too. I made it because I left work sick today with the flu and had broccoli to use up.
You'll notice no onion, you can totally use it, I am just avoiding onion at the moment. I served mine with 100gm of cottage cheese (for 12gm of protein), chopped parsley, a sprinkle of parmesan and sundried tomato.

The finished meal 

Ingredients:
1 broccoli head chopped small including the stalk.
3 garlic cloves
1 TBS olive oil
1 TBS lemon juice
1 TBS basil pesto
Handful of fresh basil, chopped
Salt and pepper to taste

Note - I used cottage cheese as my protein source when I served this, ricotta is another option, bacon or chicken would also work with or without the cheese.

Directions

The finished product
Step 1
Heat oil in a pot then add garlic and cook for 1 minute.  Then add the stalk of the broccoli cook for 2 minutes.

Step 2
Add the rest of the broccoli with some water and cook until soft on a medium heat. Once soft add the basil and pesto and cook for a few minutes.

Step 3
Add the lemon and remove from heat. At this point I blended with a blending stick then added my salt and pepper.